File LFDP_spp contains the current species list with family for the Luquillo Forest Dynamics plot and the codes for these species found in LFDP1 and LFDD1a As new species are encountered or renamed and species renamed then this list will be updated Species identifications are assisted by reference to Liogier (1985, 1988, 1994, 1995, 1997), Little and Wadsworth (1964) Little, et al (1974), Little and Woodbury (1976).The National Science Foundation requires that data from projects it funds are posted on the web two years after any data set has been organized and “cleaned” The data from each census of the LFDP will be updated at intervals as each survey of the LFDP shows errors in the previous data collection After posting on the web, researchers who are not part of the project are then welcome to use the data Given the enormous amount of time, effort and resources required to manage the LFDP, obtain these data, and ensure data accuracy, LFDP Principal Investigators request that researchers intending to use this data comply with the requests below Through complying with these requests we can ensure that the data are interpreted correctly, analyses are not repeated unnecessarily, beneficial collaboration between users is promoted and the Principle Investigators investment in this project is protected Please comply with the following requests:
- Submit to the LFDP PIs a short (1 page) description of how you intend to use the data;Invite LFDP PIs to be co-authors on any publication that uses the data in a substantial way (some PIs may decline and other LFDP scientists may need to be included);
- If the LFDP PIs are not co-authors, send the PIs a draft of any paper using LFDP data, so that the PIs may comment upon it;
- In the methods section of any publication using LFDP data, describe that data as coming from the “Luquillo Forest Dynamics Plot, part of the Luquillo Experimental Forest Long-Term Ecological Research Program”;
- Acknowledge in any publication using LFDP data the “The Luquillo Experimental Forest Long-Term Ecological Research Program, supported by the U.S National Science Foundation, the University of Puerto Rico, and the International Institute of Tropical Forestry”;
- Supply the LFDP PIs with 10 reprints of any publication using LFDP data.
- Accept that the LFDP PIs can not guarantee that the LFDP data you intend to use, has not already been submitted for publication or published.